Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hospital Discharge

Birth Story (Part 3)

On Monday morning Jesse and I woke up to the Doctor and nurse coming in to check Wren and do our discharge paperwork! The doctor was so nice and he said my name caught his eye because his late mothers name was Karla with a K which isn't very common! He congratulated us on the adoption and said Wren checked out healthy! We were all set to leave as soon as she hit the 48 hour mark at 10:29am so they could check her jaundice one more time. Since this was an adoption though we had to wait for our attorney to come and go over all the remaining paperwork before we could leave and she wasn't able to come until 1:00pm.  We had things to get in place though while we waited so once the doctor was finished we got up and dressed and packed our things.  I was so ready to get out of the hospital and didn't really feel well because I was lacking sleep majorly! Jesse usually did the coffee and breakfast run but I decided he could stay with Wren and I would go this morning. I went to Dunkin Donuts and got coffee and bagels.  The fresh air felt amazing since I hadn't been out of the hospital since we went in for the birth early Saturday morning.
About to start the day!!
When I got back I set to work figuring out a doctor and insurance for Wren.  I had to set up a pediatrician in Fort Myers that she could see during our wait to go home.  I found one that looked nice and called and set up an appointment.  I didn't have insurance stuff all set yet but they were really understanding and patient! I got copies of all the hospital summaries and discharge paperwork to take to this new doctor so they would know what's going on.  Then I tried to submit Wrens insurance online but it wouldn't let me since the effective date and her birthdate were different.  Effective date was supposed to be the day she was placed with us and rights were signed to us which was one day after her birthday. I called my insurance agency and they had me fill out a paper application which they had given me just in case.  Thankfully the hospital let me use their fax machine and send the completed form into the insurance agency for them to file!  The insurance agency wrote me a letter saying that Wrens insurance was pending since I would be going to the doctor and possibly not have her insurance set up yet.  Did I mention that I hate dealing with insurance?!? It did go pretty smooth though and I was so thankful I had my agent to help me get it all set up!

Once I got everything done we just waited around in our room for 1:00pm when the attorney and hospital social worker and nurse could all meet us and do the actual discharge and clip Wrens bands and let us leave!  I was so sick and felt terrible.  I really just wanted to get out of there so I could sleep on our way to Fort Myers.
Please just a little sleep!
Finally everyone was at the hospital although it was after 1:00pm by then.  We went over the last things we needed to sign for our attorney and had everyone make copies of all the paperwork for us.  Wrens bands were clipped and the attorney was going over the last of the stuff we needed to know or have copies of.  The nurse had left the room during this and said she would be right back to check Wrens car seat so we could leave!  Once we finished we sat and waited for her but she didn't come back.  We were all sick of waiting and our attorney needed to get back to her office so she could file our paperwork with the state ASAP! We talked a little and finally wandered into the hall.  I have no idea what the nurse was doing but our attorney finally went and told the other nurses that we all needed to get on the road if they could have her come check Wrens car seat so we could leave! I believe it was around 3:00pm by this time. We waited and waited and finally the nurse came from somewhere and said she was getting me a wheel chair so I could have the experience every other mom gets! It was so sweet of her but by that time I was getting so impatient and I didn't feel good so I just wanted to leave!! So we waited a little longer and she had a volunteer bring me a wheel chair and wheel me outside! I was just so thankful to finally get to leave! It was pretty crazy getting to take this little tiny baby on our own.  She was ours!
All set to leave!
Taking our little girl "home"
Treated like a mom!
Goodbye Hospital!
We left the hospital and got gas and food and hit the road to Fort Myers! It felt so good to finally be on our own but I am still amazed how quickly everything happened and that it only took 3 days from birth to discharge! I slept most of the drive and of course Jesse had to pull over at least once to check and make sure Wren was still breathing :) 

It felt so nice to get back to the condo especially since we had this sweet little bundle with us this time! We had one night on our own and then the next day we were picking my mom up at the airport! Wren slept so good! She would sleep 3-4 hours then eat and go right back to sleep! She was so content and didn't cry much except to tell us she was hungry! We couldn't have asked for a better baby :)

3 comments:

  1. This is just the most smooth perfect little adoption story every;). So glad for you guys!! I should see you at wrens baby shower:)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay so excited you and your mom are going to make it to the shower!!! See you then!

      Delete
  2. Love the post, all parts 1,2 & 3. See you at the shower.

    ReplyDelete